Madhutailika basti is one of the commonly practiced therapy in various clinical conditions. The chief ingredients of this basti are madhu (honey) and taila (oil). It is also known as padahina basti, yukta ratha basti and siddha basti. It is specially indicated for tender persons like children, aged persons. It possesses both properties like expelling dosha (doshanirharana) as well as nourishing (brimhana). There are no such contraindications for madhutailika basti. Also, it is devoid of any kind of restrictions during its administration. It has wide spectrum of action such as vrishya (aphrodisiac), varnya (improves complexion) and balya (improves strength). It can be used in meda dhatu dushti vikara like medoroga (dyslipidemia) and prameha (obstinate urinary diseases including diabetes). [Su.Sa. Chiktsa Sthana 35/3-4]
|Authors||Kabra Diksha1, Bhatted Santoshkumar 1|
1 Department of Panchakarma, All India Institute of Ayurveda, New Delhi, India |
2 Rheumatologist, Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
3 Department of Kayachikitsa, G.J.Patel Institute of Ayurvedic Studies and Research, New Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, India
|Publisher||Charak Samhita Research, Training and Development Centre, I.T.R.A., Jamnagar, India|
|Date of publication:||November 14, 2022|
Etymology and definition
The term ‘Madhutailika’ is derived from two words viz. madhu (honey) and taila (oil). Basti prepared from madhu (honey) and taila (oil) in equal quantity is termed as ‘Madhutailika Basti’. , [Su.Sa. Chiktsa Sthana 38/114] Madhutailika basti is one of the asthapana Basti. It is also called as ‘padahina basti’ as its dose is 1/4th lesser than the highest dose of asthapana basti. [Su.Sa. Chiktsa Sthana 38/100]
Yuktaratha basti, Siddha Basti. [Su.Sa. Chiktsa Sthana 38/115-116]
Ingredients of Madhutailika Basti
Following table shows ingredients of Madhutailika Basti and their proportion. [Su.Sa. Chiktsa Sthana 38/100]
|1||Madhu (honey)||2 prasruta (192 ml)|
|2||Saindhava (rocksalt)||1 karsha (12 gms)|
|3||Tila Taila (sesame oil)||2 prasruta (192 ml)|
|4||Shatapushpa kalka (paste of anethum sowa)||½ pala (24 gms)|
|5||Erandamula kwatha (decoction of roots of Ricinus communis)||4 prasruta (384 ml)|
|6||Madanphala (fruit of randia dumetorum)||1 (12gm)|
Sharangdhara’s formulation [Sha.Sa. Uttara Khanda 6/28]
|1||Madhu & Tila Taila||8 Pala (384ml)(both together each 192 ml)|
|2||Saindhava||1 Tola (12 gms)|
|4||Shatapushpa kalka||½ Pala (24gms)|
|5||Erandamula kwatha||8 Pala (384 ml)|
Both formulations are almost the same. Only difference is between adding madanaphala. Sushruta’s formulation is practiced widely.
Madhutailika basti is indicated in following individuals according to their forbearance strength.[Su.Sa. Chiktsa Sthana 38/96]
|1||Leaders and highly influential person|
Disease wise indications [Sha.Sa. Uttara Khanda 6/29]
|1||Medoroga (obesity)||7||Prameha (obstinate urinary diseases including diabetes)|
|2||Gulma (gaseous accumulation in abdomen)||8||Balya (strength promoting)|
|3||Krimi (intestinal worms)||9||Varnya (improves complexion)|
|4||Pliha (splenomegaly)||10||Vrishya (aphrodisiac)|
|5||Malasanga (constipation)||11||Deepana (appetiser)|
|6||Udavarta (reverse movement of vata)||12||Brimhana (replenishing)|
There are no reported contraindications for madhutailika basti. According to general contraindications, it should not be administered in ajirna (indigestion), and other similar conditions having the dominance of ama (undigested material).
Duration and schedule of therapy
Sushruta describes that it can be administered according to niruha krama implemented in yoga basti or kala basti or karma basti krama. According to strength of dosha, patient and disease, it can be administered daily or alternate with anuvasana basti. The minimum duration needed to observe some changes is 8 days. It can be administered up to 16 days according to conditions.
Advantages of madhutailika basti
Madhutailika basti has following advantages over other basti.[Su.Sa. Chiktsa Sthana 38/97-98-99]
- It has broad spectrum of activity without any complications.
- There are no restrictions for patients for travelling in vehicles, sexual act and diet.
- It can be administered at any time according to willingness of patient.
- It can be administered in all seasons.
- It causes dosha nirharana (elimination of dosha) and enhances bala (strength) and varna (complexion).
- It can be administered in healthy person for ritushodhana (seasonal purification).
- As it is mild in nature, it can be administered in tender persons, alpadoshayukta (having mild dosha vitiation), mridukoshthi (soft bowel person).
- It is applied for purification purpose as well as nourishing therapy.
- The single basti provides siddhi (success), so it is known to be the best basti among the basti therapy.
|1||Madhu (Honey)||Madhura rasa, Kashaya anurasa||Pichhila, Laghu, Ruksha, Sukshma||Sheeta||Madhura||Lekhana, Shodhana, Yogavahi, Ropana, Vranashodhana,Sandhana|
|2||Saindhav (Rock salt)||Madhura Lavana||Laghu, Sukshma||Sheeta||Madhura||Deepana, Pachana|
|3||Shatapushpa (Anethum Sowa Kurz)||Katu||Laghu Ruksha Tikshna||Ushna||Katu||Deepana Pachana Anulomaka|
|4||Tila Taila (Sesame oil)||Madhura Kashaya Tikta||Sara, Guru Sukshma||Ushna||Madhura||Tridoshaghna Vatahara, Lekhana Balya|
|5||Erandamula (Root of Ricinus Communis Linn)||Madhura, Katu, Kashaya||Snigdha Teekshna Sookshma||Ushna||Madhura||Vedanasthapaka, Balya|
|6||Madanphala (Randia dumetorum Linn)||Madhura Tikta||Laghu Ruksha||Ushna||Katu||Lekhana|
Probable mode of action
The main constituent of this madhutailika basti is honey (madhu) and sesame oil (tila taila). Madhu is yogavahi (drug carrier) in nature due to which it spreads to minute channels (sukshma srotasa) and increases potency of basti. Tila taila is snigdha (unctuous), madhura (sweet) and ushna (hot) in nature. It reduces laghu (light to digest) and ruksha (dry) properties of vata. Saindhava has laghu, snigdha guna. It reaches micro channels and causes liquefaction of dosha. Erandamula is vata-kaphaghna in nature. The most of the contents of this basti are vata-kaphaghna in nature.
Madhumeha is one of the kapha and kleda dominant disease with vitiation of [[Mamsa dhatu |mamsa]], meda, rasa, and ojas. Madhutailika basti purifies the vitiated components with the help of honey and salt. It breaks the bondage of dosha (doshasanghata) and purifies channels (srotoshodhana). It enhances strength (bala) and digestion (agni) leading to proper nourishment of dhatu. In medoroga, functions of agni are disturbed leading to improper formation of dhatu and only meda dhatu is excessively formed. Madhutailika basti owing to its vata-kaphaghna nature helps in medoroga as well as it cleans the channels. Madhu and tila taila are medohara in nature. Hence they help in breaking the pathogenesis.
Also, basti improves functioning of agni and stimulates sequential formation of good quality dhatu. In Udavarta, there is reverse movement of vata, basti is the best treatment to provide natural direction to vata dosha. This basti contains decoction of castor plant (Erandamula Kwatha), which is the best for pacifying vata. As this basti reaches microchannels and does liquefaction of doshas, it produces balya , varnya , deepana and brimhana effects.
|Sr no||Title||Authors||Research Place and year||Conclusion|
|1||Clinical study to evaluate the efficacy of Madhutailika Basti in the management of Madhumeha w.s.r. To Diabetes Mellitus. ||Dr. Mridula Pathak
Dr. Ashish Mhatre
|Dept of Kayachikitsa, OPD/IPD of D.Y.Patil school of Ayurveda , 2018.||Madhutailka basti was given for 8 days and it is found effective clinically as well as statistically in the treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. Also, it gives significant results in blood sugar level and HbA1C which is used for diagnosis of DM.|
|2||Role of Madhutailika Basti in infertility w.s.r. to anovulatory factor. ||Dr.Kamini Dhiman,
Dr. Shachi Pandya,
Dr. L. P. Dei,
|OPD/IPD of S.R.P.T. Dept, I.P.G.T & R.A Jamnagar,2014.||The effect of basti was encouraging in reference to ovulation.|
|3||Study of effect of Madhutailika Basti (rejuvenating enema containing honey and seasame oil) on fatigue index in premature ageing. ||Dr.Santosh Chavan,
Dr. Surendra M. Vedpathak,
Dr. Umesh Shivajirao Ghate
|O.P.D of B.V.M.F.S Bharti Ayurveda Hospital , Katraj,2018.||Madhutailika Basti shows positive effect on physical fitness (fatigue index) in premature aging patient.|
|4||Pharmaceutical evaluation of Madhutailika basti formulation prepared by Classical and Modified Methods. ||Dr. Shruthi C.S.
Prabhakara Upadhyaya Renjal Sujatha K.
|Dept of R.S.B.K, S.D.M College of Ayurveda, Udupi,2017.||Samples prepared with Churner, those from mixer and edge runner mill can be considered as inferior respectively.|
|5||A comparative clinical study of madhutailik kal-basti and udvartana with madhutailik kala basti in medoroga with special reference to obesity. ||Dr.Prajkta Tomar||Panchakarma/ Kayachikitsa OPD of attached hospital with Sumatibai Shah Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, Hadapsar, Pune, 2015.||In Group-A (madhultailik basti), the mean reduction in Sharir bhar (Weight) observed among patients was 3 kg. Body Mass Index was reduced by 1.3 kg/m2 . While in Group-B, the mean reduction of weight was 4.20 kg and body mass index was reduced by 1.4 kg/m2.|
|6||Study of Preparation and Standardization of 'Maadhutailika Basti' with special reference to Emulsion Stability. ||S S Savrikar
C E Lagad
|Dept of R.S.B.K, Govt. Ayurveda College, Nanded,2010.||Maadhutailika basti is oil in water emulsion as proved by dilution, conductivity and dye test. The serial order of mixing the ingredients mentioned by classics should be maintained to get a homogenized emulsion.|
|7||Effect of Madhu tailika basti And Shamana aushadhi In polycycstic ovarian diseases. ||Shridevi. M. Reddi,
|O.P.D/I.P.D of Dept of S.R.P.T of SKAMCH & RC , Vijayanagar , Banglore,2014.||The trial drug was found to be highly significant in reliving PCOD.|
Su.= Sushruta , Sha.= Sharangdhara , Sa.= Samhita
- www.wisdomlib.org. Madhutailika, Mādhutailika, Madhu-tailika: 3 definitions [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2022 Sep 2]. Available from: https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/Madhutailika
- Pathak Mridula , Mhatre Ashish. Clinical study to evaluate the efficacy of Madhutailika Basti in the management of Madhumeha w.s.r. To Diabetes Mellitus. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrated Medical Sciences.2018;3(05), 21-26. Retrieved from https://www.jaims.in/jaims/article/view/488
- Dhiman, Kamini & Pandya, Shachi & Dei, Laxmipriya. (2014). Role of madhutailika basti in infertility w.s.r. to anovulatory factor. Journal of Ayurveda & Holistic Medicine. 2. 19 - 26.
- Chavan S, Vedpathak S, Indapurkar K, Ghate U. Study of effect of madhutailika basti (rejuvenating enema containing honey and seasame oil) on fatigue index in premature ageing. 2018 Apr 25;7.
- Dr. Shruthi C.S., Prabhakara Upadhyaya Renjal, & Sujatha K. (2017). Pharmaceutical evaluation of Madhutailika Basti formulation prepared by Classical and Modified Methods. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrated Medical Sciences, 2(01), 85-91. Retrieved from https://www.jaims.in/jaims/article/view/101
- Tomar D.P. A comparative clinical study of madhutailik kal-basti and udvartana with madhutailik kala basti in medoroga with special reference to obesity. 2015;10.
- Savrikar SS, Lagad CE. Study of Preparation and Standardization of 'Maadhutailika Basti' with special reference to Emulsion Stability. Ayu. 2010 Jan;31(1):1-6. Doi: 10.4103/0974-8520.68190. PMID: 22131675; PMCID: PMC3215309.
- M. Reddi, S., V, A., & Mishra, B. (2015). Effect of Madhu Tailika Basti and Shamana aushadhi in poly-cystic ovarian diseases. International Journal of Ayurveda and Pharma Research, 2(7). Retrieved from https://ijapr.in/index.php/ijapr/article/view/192