Categories of Indriya
There are total eleven Indriya in human being.
- Five sense organs that work for perception of knowledge termed as 'dnyanendriya'.
- Five motor organs that work for gross motor functions termed as 'karmendriya'.
- 'Mana' (mind) is termed as 'atindriya' as it works as super sense and co-ordinates with intellectual faculty and soul.
The status of vitality of a human being can be assessed through Indriya. Hence, the section Indriya Sthana deals with assessment of vitality and observation of fatal signs or dreadful features of disease.
- Sanskrit-English Dictionary available from http://spokensanskrit.org/index.php?mode=3&script=hk&tran_input=Indriya&direct=au retrieved on April 19, 2019
- Commentary by Chakrapani on Cha.Indriya 1/1-2 available on http://niimh.nic.in/ebooks/ecaraka/?mod=adhi retrieved on April 19, 2019