|Prior Section||Nidana Sthana|
|Next Section||Sharira Sthana|
|All Sections||Sutra Sthana,Nidana Sthana, Vimana Sthana, Sharira Sthana, Indriya Sthana, Chikitsa Sthana, Kalpa Sthana, Siddhi Sthana|
|Rasa Vimana, Trividhakukshiya Vimana, Janapadodhvansaniya Vimana, Trividha Roga Vishesha Vijnaniya Vimana, Sroto Vimana, Roganika Vimana, Vyadhita Rupiya Vimana, Rogabhishagjitiya Vimana|
The section describes the qualities of an ideal teacher, a medical student and how to acquire medical education. In this regard, means to evaluate a medical treatise and ways to enhance medical knowledge by organizing and attending medical conferences, group discussions and debates are described in detail. The section covers diverse fields like personal health, diet guidelines, social health, medical education, patient examination etc. There are eight chapters in Vimana Sthana:
- The first chapter, Rasa Vimana, explains the role of rasa, ghee, oil and honey in dosha vitiation and pacification. Ashta ahara vishesha ayatana (eight specific factors to be considered in processing food) are described in this chapter.
- The second chapter , Trividhakukshiya Vimana further guides dietary regulations and its consequences, if not followed properly. The disorders due to ama are also described.
- The third chapter, Janapadodhvansaniya Vimana, deals with the prevention of various epidemic disorders caused due to polluted air, water, soil and season. The contamination of these four factors is basic cause of higher mortality rate in an area. The social hygiene aspect is mentioned in this chapter. The lifespan and its gradual decrease according to change in era is predicted here.
- The fourth chapter, Trividha Roga Vishesha Vijnaniya Vimana, explains three ways to acquire knowledge of diseases. These are based upon aptopadesha (authentic scriptural knowledge or knowledge given by authority), pratyaksha (direct perception by one’s own senses) and anumana (perception based on logical reasoning). The assessment of various psychological factors is also described in details.
- Sroto Vimana, the fifth chapter, deals with detailed description of srotas (transportation and perfusion channels) in the body. It enlists the root of each srotas, common features of its vitiation and general principles of its management. The chapter guides to understand the basic body system involved in a disease and its treatment protocol in general.
- Roganika Vimana, the sixth chapter, details the five categories of diseases based upon prognosis (curable, incurable), severity (mild, severe), origin (psyche or soma), etiology (endogenous, exogenous) and site of origin (amashaya, pakvashaya). It further describes the anubandhya (independent disease) and anubandha (dependent upon other disease). The differentiation of disease based upon predominant dosha and its management principles are described.
- The seventh chapter Vyadhita Rupiya Vimana describes how a patient’s presentation can misguide the physician about the severity of disease. Thorough clinical examination is necessary for prevention of such error and reach correct diagnosis. The second part of the chapter is about krimi (micro-organisms and parasites) and their management. Since the field of microbiology has mostly developed in the last one hundred years, the treatment of krimi is not adequate but prevention methods are comprehensive.
- The last chapter of this section, Rogabhishagjitiya Vimana deals with how a medical student can achieve comprehensive knowledge. It explains selection of a treatise, characteristics of ideal teacher, student and his duty during academia. Four types of conversations in a conference are narrated. Discussion techniques and guidelines for developing conference presentation skills are detailed. Further, ten types of examination of a patient are explained with example in clinical practice. Meanwhile, the characteristic features of types of three prakriti (basic constitution) and eight sara (qualities of tissues) are described in detail. Comprehensive list of herbs used in five body purification procedures is given for the knowledge of physician. This chapter has detailed compilation of guidelines for a student to achieve success in medical practice.